Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Week 13 Chores and Goals

This week we are talking about goal setting -- because it's New Years and all. So this week we will be setting goals for the new year. Some objectives: set quantifiable goals, talk about responsibility, begin doing chores.
 Here are my 4 year-old's goals:
  • Learn to crochet.  We've already picked a beginners project
  • Become and independent reader
  • Being learning the piano. Daddy is her instructor
  • Begin Kindergarden
We spent the week talking about doing chores and starting a chore chart.  My wonderful sister-in-law shared a great idea about rewards.  "What children really want is time with their parents.  So rather than make video games a reward, why not make time with you a reward?  You could go get a treat, have one-on-one time, play a board game, etc."  I love this idea for a chore chart. I've read plenty of lists about chores appropriate for a 4 year-old, but here are ones I'm okay with her being in charge of:
  1. Feeding the cat
  2. Setting the table for dinner
  3. Putting her clothes in the hamper, she could also put them away after I fold them
  4. Clearing her dishes from the table
  5. Putting her shoes away
  6. Cleaning up toys

We read Loudmouth George Earns His Allowance, this gave my daughter some ideas about doing chores, but I loved that this book addressed trying to get out of chores. She has really taken to chores and the rewards.  Then we talked about goals using The Little Red HenThe Little Red Hen shows us how to break goals down into manageable parts for success. It also teaches that if you don't participate in the work, you don't have any claim on the rewards.  When my daughter complains about helping at dinner time I ask her, "Are you a part of this family?  Do you want to eat dinner? Then you need to help me set the table."

Here she is enjoying her Christmas toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment