Thursday, January 2, 2014

Week 11 My Five Senses - Part 2

My Five Senses - Part 1

Part 2
When I was planning the schedule I gave the five senses two weeks because the five senses allow for a lot of exploration.  This week it snowed again, yay! So we used the snow in our sensory play. We played outside in the snow.

Then we brought snow inside.
After they had played in the snow for a little while, noticing how cold is was, I gave my older daughter a bowl of warm water to explore the sense of touch.  How does the cold feel?  How does the warm feel?  How does it feel when you mix them together?  What happens to the snow in the water? In the picture she's holding two little cups of snow which she's about to drop into the water.
After we explored hot and cold for a while, I added colors to the snow.  We chose to add blue and yellow to explore colors.  My oldest mixed and my toddler mixed and we ended up with green snow.  Then she added cups of green snow into the water and made green water.

Exploring with our senses was a lot of fun.  However, I barely scratched the surface of possibilities!  We should have done more exploration with our ears -- a blindfolded Marco Polo game would have allowed this. We should have explored more with our tastes -- sweet v. salty.  And we should have explored more with our noses -- lotion or spice smelling would have worked well for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment