Thursday, January 2, 2014

Week 10 My Five Senses - Part 1

Objective:
  • Identify each of the five senses
  • Explore the world through each of the senses

This week we began our exploration of the five senses.  We started by naming and discussing what each of the five senses are.  I found a cute image of all five senses, this really helped my daughter visualize the senses and how they are used. Afterwards we did sensory play.
This is cornstarch and water.  You can see there's also some color added.  My daughter's favorite color is purple, so of course everything becomes purple.  This was a messy activity.  I find myself saying no more than yes to similar activities, but sometimes I just have to get over the fact that it will make a mess.  I accept it will make a mess and I accept I will have to clean it up.  Realizing these two things helps me allow similar sensory activities to be common in my house.
Then we made graham cracker houses.  This was an exploration of taste, sight, and touch.  We tasted each of the candies before and after making the houses.  We used our eyes to make color patterns on the roofs of the houses as well as where to place our gummy bear people.  Lastly, we used our hands to build and manipulate the materials we had available.  It was a lot of fun and our decorative houses sat on the counter for a week or so.

My Five Senses - Part 2

1 comment:

  1. You are one creative lady just found your blog today and wish to follow if that is ok with you

    ReplyDelete