Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Week 12 Jesus and Christmas

We are Santa truthers.

We don't teach about Santa.  Instead we talk about the birth of our Savior and the gifts he gives us.  Then we spend the month doing our best to give to others.  The closest we get is discussing St. Nicholas. I might write another blog post about it later.  But for now let's focus on Jesus.

This week (really this whole month) we've been talking about the birth of Jesus.  We started by teaching the story of Jesus' birth.

On Monday we gathered at my husband's uncle's house for a wonderful dinner and a Christmas pageant.  My oldest was pretty resistant about the pageant when she found out she couldn't be Mary.  She refused to participate.  The closest we got to participation was her agreeing to be a Mary shepherd.  So I sewed her a simple shepherd outfit.  But, when we began to dress for the pageant she decided she would rather be an angel with the really big kids. Moments like this made me grateful for my toddler, who was completely chill about the whole thing (until I squished her finger in the pantry door and ended up cuddling her through the whole pageant).  My youngest was happy to be whatever, she was just happy to be part of it all.


Here is my angel and my shepherd.



On Christmas Eve, Tuesday, we dressed up like shepherds and held a shepherds dinner (which turned out really nicely).  We sat on the ground and ate from the same two plates of olives, cheeses, breads, fruits, and lamb.  Then we did a reenactment of the Nativity using the fisher price nativity we bought this year.

As an aside, fisher price toys are cheaper if you buy them directly from the fisher price website.  You can also get free shipping if you make a large enough purchase.  We were very happy with our experience.

On Christmas morning we opened presents and visited with our wonderful neighbors.  It was a wonderful day!

And on Friday, when everything had settled down, I invited my daughter to tell me the Nativity.  She was really impressive in the telling.  Not missing any of the details.  She made her mom proud.


I'm grateful for moments like these that make me happy with our parenting choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment