Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Giving Some Joy at Christmas

This year for Christmas Russell and I decided to give some joy to people who might be a little lonely.  That joy took the form of sugar cookies. I love sugar cookies! They are one of my three favorite cookies. Our list had thirty two families on it and that translated into 124ish cookies. It helps that I have the World's Best Sugar Cookie recipe, which makes 80ish cookies with one batch. Here it is:
 World's Best Sugar Cookies
2 c butter or margarine, softened
2c granulated sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract
6c flour
1 tsp baking soda
Cream together butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and lemon extract.  Add flour and baking soda.  Mix until all the flour has been mixed into the dough. Refrigerate for 2 or 24 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookies sheet.  Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut out desired shapes.  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (I baked mine for 12 minutes because my oven runs a little cold) or until edges start to brown.  Freezes well for up to 6 months.

 
Two batches later I had about 180ish cookies.  Then I like to make homemade butter cream frosting - it's also super easy. 
Butter Cream Frosting
4 c powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 TBS milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
Blend with hand mixer on medium speed until well blended. One recipe of this will cover one batch of the cookies.
Then we had three awesome families come over and help decorate cookies, put together plates, and play with Josie's toys.  It was such a great evening.  After we'd decorated them all, we divided the 32 families and everyone went out sharing joy.  This might become a new Christmas tradition, it was that good.




1 comment:

  1. What yummy looking cookies. What a great thing to do for people around there. I'm sure they appreciate it. My family also makes plate of goodies and we take them to people. We do it every year and it's one of my favorite traditions. Treats really do make people smile.

    ReplyDelete