Monday, November 4, 2013

Week 3 Autumn

We started our lesson by reviewing our sight words -- the, and, you.  Then I quizzed her a little. After considering the topic of  pirates for this week, I decided to change the topic and teach about Autumn. First we talked about the four seasons.  Then I brought the focus to Autumn and the changes that take place in Autumn, leaves, rain, temperature.  We followed by reading The Biggest Pumpkin Ever by Steven Kroll.
 Later we read Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom by Bill Martin, Jr. and worked on identifying the letters as they climbed our tree.  I threw this tree together and cut out the letters on my Cricut.  My preschooler enjoyed this, we laid out all the letters and she placed them at the top while I read.

On  Wednesday we did googly eye math. (Found this idea here). I wrote an equation on each paper and she created a picture to represent it with googly eyes.  She wanted to lay out all the googly eyes first, then she placed them (very meticulously at first) on the pictures.

My goal with the math was counting to and writing 12. Each of the equations had a sum of 12.  After she added the eyes and counted them, I had her write the number 12 on the blank space.


Shortly after our math activity we did another letter activity.  We used our imaginations and role-played that we were a hungry bear who wanted to eat some letter fish. (Found this here). We took turns calling out a letter and then feeding that letter to the bear.  Even my 18 month old got involved in the game.


We wanted to play with the fall leaves, sticks, and acorns so I threw together some sensory stuff.  I took a cookie sheet and glued magnets onto the backs of paper leaves, sticks, and acorns and allowed them to play with the magnets on the cookie sheet. (Found this idea here). Later I glued on a ribbon so I could hang the cookie sheet up.  My 18 month old used the sticks as a telephone.
 My oldest grouped all the items and then played make believe like in the movie Epic (we really enjoyed this movie, I would totally recommend it!).

No comments:

Post a Comment