Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Week 17 Color Mixing

I think our lesson on color mixing should have come before rainbows. Maybe.

Carnation Dying
This week we splurged a little and bought some white carnations.  I asked the florist at Albertsons is they had a bundle I could buy.  She found one in the back. I was afraid the carnations weren't that pretty when we bought them, but they bloomed nicely when we put them in the water. We worked on dying the carnations and learned a couple things. 
 We used food dyes in water.  We mixed up a rainbow, we like rainbows.
 Here's what we learned: red is too heavy to be absorbed by the carnation.  The flowers in the orange turned yellow, the flowers in the purple turned blue.  Nothing happened to the carnation in the red jar.  If I locate the picture I took of the carnations I will post it later.  When I was rinsing out the jars afterwards, the red was stuck at the bottom.

Crayon Melting
We have hundreds of crayons. We sorted out all the broken ones, peeled them, and sorted by color. This was great practice in color sorting and then some small motor activity in peeling crayons.
We used washed cans and melted the crayons down in a pot with a small amount of water. I used my oven mitts to hold the cans and pour the melted wax.  Then I poured them into our silicone hearts.  I asked Josie to stay back so she wouldn't get burned. I would recommend extreme caution so no one gets burned.
 We made four of most colors and then we layered colors.

 They dried super fast and pretty soon we were using them to color.  It was simple and yet really fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment